Fort Leavenworth USD No. 207
General MacArthur Elementary School
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
New Construction & Renovation
This new elementary school provides a vibrant learning environment for the 3,700 families stationed at the U.S. Army Installation in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
The new school includes a three-story atrium, classroom spaces surrounded by courtyards, an aquatic nature center, cafeteria, library, art studio, gymnasium, an auditorium, and a FEMA shelter as well as many exterior features including an outdoor classroom, playgrounds, a bus pick-up and drop-off loop, and a playfield.
Fort Leavenworth is the oldest continuously active military installation west of the Mississippi River. Construction challenges included:
- compliance with anti-terrorism measures
- maintaining mission-critical operations throughout
- construction with effective phasing and staging strategies
- honoring its National Historic Landmark designation
- accommodating the many diverse and specialized spaces
- achieving environmental sustainability (designed to LEED Gold)